Ready to stop wasting time looking for the right travel gear?
You’re at the right place.
Here’s the deal:
- If you can’t figure out what gear to buy…
- If you’re confused about what to pack…
- If you want to save money on travel gear…
Thither has the answers.
How Thither Can Prepare You For Your Next Trip
Sometimes Amazon.com reviews just don’t cut it. That’s why Thither (formerly The Travel Gear Reviews) exists.
It’s for the people who want to know more about a product than just “nice”:
And aren’t looking to be bombarded by sidebar ads and annoying clickbait:
The Thither is a travel gear site that takes the guesswork out of shopping for gear. We’ve cut through the junk and have reviews of the best travel gear so you don’t have to waste time with the mediocre.
Every week Thither posts reviews, videos reviews and articles about how we used our gear while traveling. Reviews range from flashlights to luggage, that we are personally using and testing in the field. Every video review has everything you need to know and nothing that you don’t, all in less than 5 minutes.
There’s millions of review sites out there, and we definitely don’t claim to be the best, but one thing’s for sure: our reviews are completely honest.
Where to Start
Are you new to Thither? You might want to start out reading some our most popular articles:
- What the Experts Use: Travel Backpack and Luggage Picks from 15 Travel Experts
- Best Travel Pillows
- 25 Gifts Under $25 for Broke Travelers
- Top 13 Travel Infographics
- Packing Lists By Destination – find out what to pack based on your next destination
About Jonathan Looi
Hi! I’m Jonathan, founder and main reviewer for Thither.com.
Prior to traveling around the world, I had wondered, “What gear should I take with me?”
That’s why I’ve started this site: to help others know what to pack, find out what gear best fits their needs and to get a feel of travel products before they buy them.
A little bit about me:
For 2 years, I traveled around the world with my mom (a travel copywriter), dad and sister. We took a RTW (Round the World) Trip spanning 5 continents and 14 countries to see the world, explore, work online and volunteer. While traveling, I had been able to test gear in the field and worked on high school online.
I’m passionate about the outdoors, travel, Chelsea F.C., luggage and travel gear. I spend most of my time exploring the world, reviewing travel gear, watching soccer, reading about politics and doing school work. Recently, I was in the New York Times’ Student Council and have since written an article on the NY Times. See my byline here.
In addition to writing on TTGR, I’ve done several freelance writing gigs and am available for new projects. If interested please contact me via the contact form.
Here are a few of the publications I have bylines in:
- Love2Fly – Iberian Airlines’ official blog
- The New York Times
- The Club British Airways, British Airway’s online magazine
So far I’ve been to 32 countries in 5 continents and counting…
Here’s a map of the countries I’ve traveled to:
In a nutshell here’s how our RTW (round the world trip) went:
- Left the US for Chile
- Visited almost all South American countries
- Stayed in South America for a total of 8 months
- Went back to the US (stayed a few months)
- Flew to Iceland, stayed there for a few days
- Flew from Iceland to Russia, toured Russia
- Took the Trans-Mongolian railway from Moscow to Irkutsk, Irkutsk to Ulan Bataar and Ulan Bataar to Beijing (7 days in total – no showers)
- Toured Mongolia
- Went from Beijing to Shanghai
- Stayed in China for 2 months, primarily in Shanghai
- Train from Shanghai to Guangzhou and Guangzhou to Hong Kong
- Flew from Hong Kong to Indonesia
- Stayed in Indonesia for 1 month
- Flew to New Zealand and stayed there for about 1 month
- Flew (for a really long time) from Auckland, New Zealand to San Francisco
- Flew back in the East Coast
Total time: 2 years. (February 2013-February 2015)
Although our RTW is officially over, I’m still traveling occasionally.
Next trip: Asia. Stay tuned.
Connect With Jonathan
Work With Thither
Are you a brand or represent a brand?
Thither is a travel gear site that posts new reviews weekly, so we are always open to reviewing new and exciting items to share with our readers. For more information on how to get your travel gear reviewed and other information about working with us, visit this page.
Write For Thither
Are you a traveler and writer? Want to share your tips and advice with our readers? Find out how you can write for Thither .