Have you ever seen one of those pictures of a person stepping on their suitcase to force it closed?
Well, Grand Trunk’s compression pack cubes essentially do the suitcase-stepping for you.
Made of a durable nylon material, this packing cube can compress your bulky items like towels, sweaters and jeans, saving precious space in your suitcase or backpack. Using its special compressing zipper you can expand the cube to its full size, then compress it down zipping the compression zipper back up with the help of two compression straps.
How It Works:
Take a look at this video from Grand Trunk which gives a basic run through of the compression packing cube:
How to use the Grand Trunk compression packing cube:
- Unzip the compression zipper
- Open the main compartment and place your clothes and gear inside
- Fill the main compartment then zip it closed
- Press down on the cube and begin to zip the compression zipper back up
- Use the compression straps and cinch down
- Continue zipping the compression zipper until no longer possible
In the end, your compression packing cube should be a compact and dense, full of clothes.
I’ve tested the small packing cube, the Weekender size. The cubes also come in medium (Getaway) and large (Explorer), which is essentially a bag on its own. Here are my thoughts on the compression cube Weekender:
- Smooth zippers
- Compression, saves space
- Small pocket at the bottom of the cube, great for socks, undergarments or accessories (although when the main compartment is full and fully compressed, it’s almost impossible to fit anything in the small pocket afterwards)
- Organizes clothes
- Good size for weekend trips or maybe even longer
This is what I’ve been able to pack in the compression cube:
- 1 pair of jeans
- 5 shirts
- 1 lightweight sweater
I’ve also packed other items, like towels and you could even use the packing cube to organize your electronics.
When stuffing this packing cube to the max, the compression zipper starts to bulge and becomes almost impossible to continue zipping. At that point I usually stop zipping so I won’t end up breaking the zipper.
- Clothes can get wrinkled when compressed in this cube. I usually pack jeans and other clothes that don’t get wrinkled, like items made of wool and polyester.
I don’t have any major cons other than the wrinkles, but I do have some minor design critique.
Most packing cubes have a rectangular design, like shown below:
The compression packing cube from Grand Trunk has a one-zipper opening, like a duffel bag, or a toiletry kit, like the one shown below:
The straight single-zipper design is fine, and good for compressing, but it makes it more difficult to access items inside than a normal packing cube opening does. You’ll probably have to take everything out in order to access a shirt at the bottom of the cube.
One aspect which is common among many packing cubes is a mesh see-through section, or the ability to see the contents inside the cube. This is helpful to know what’s inside the cube without having to open it.
The Grand Trunk compression cube is made of a durable 600 denier nylon material – which is completely opaque. You won’t be able to see what’s inside the Grand Trunk compression cube until you open it up, which is a minor, but potentially annoying issue.
The Grand Trunk Compression Pack Cube is ideal for adventure travelers and vacationers. The cube is durable and helps travelers keep their clothes organized and save space.
The compression cube comes in 3 sizes:
- Small – Weekender retail, $60 (this is the one I’ve tested)
- Medium – Getaway retail, $80
- Large – Explorer retail, $100 (this is very large, like a duffle bag on it’s own and includes a shoulder strap)
The pricing is a bit on the high end, which is why I’ve given the cube a 7 value rating, although I’d expect to travel with it for a long time.
If you’re traveling with a lot of dress shirts and don’t want wrinkles, check out the Eagle Creek Garment Folder, which is great for business travelers.
Grand Trunk Compression Pack Cube Ratings
Where to Get It:
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below.
The Grand Trunk Compression Pack Cube was provided for this review. As always, this Grand Trunk Compression Pack Cube Review contains only my honest views and opinions. 🙂 Find out more about me and this site here.